SQL (Structured Query Language) is a programming language used to manage and manipulate data in relational databases. It is used to insert, update, retrieve and delete data from databases. SQL is used to interact with relational databases, which are databases that store data in tables. Each table has a set of rows (also known as records) and columns (also known as fields).
SQL is used to perform a variety of tasks on databases including:
- Creating, modifying, and deleting tables and other database objects
- Inserting, updating, and retrieving data from tables
- Setting up and managing users and permissions
- Creating and running queries to retrieve specific data from the database.
- SQL is a standard language used by many relational databases, including MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and SQLite. There are also various dialects of SQL that are specific to certain databases, such as Oracle SQL and Microsoft T-SQL.
SQL is a powerful and versatile language that allows developers to interact with relational databases in a simple and efficient way. It is widely used in web development and data analysis and is an important skill to have for many types of software development projects.